Last night, we had what equates to a knock down, drag out fight over the sippy cup rule. Mama's sippy cup rule is "you have to sit when you drink." You don't have to sit with me, but you must be seated. No wandering around with a sippy cup in your hand/mouth. I've read too many articles about children falling and hurting themselves that way. Your teeth are bothering (you're getting 2 bottom molars) you so you enjoy chewing on the soft spout. You wanted to wander around with your cup. Every time you'd stand up, I'd take your cup. Cue the meltdown. As soon as you'd sit, I'd give it back. Eventually, you understood that you had to sit in order to have your cup. Then you were perfectly happy.
I have about 8 different types of cups. Soft spout sippy cups, hard spout sippy cups, take and toss sippy cups, cups with straws, cups with handles, Mickey cups, plain cups, you name it, I think I have it.
Today, I grabbed a soft spout sippy cup made by the First Years. Of course, I only have one of these cups. We're also slowly transitioning you from formula to whole milk. I tried just switching it and you were unimpressed. Going from warm formula to ice cold cow's milk was just not your cup of tea. I hate milk so I feel your pain (I'm losing brownie points with Great Grandpa Robert in heaven having said that). So we've been doing three fourths formula, one fourth milk.
Funny story. I told Daddy to do it that way, meanwhile I've been doing half and half without thinking. Whoops!
For whatever reason, it clicked. You finished almost all your breakfast/lunch and then ran off to play. Huzzah! I was so proud.
Then, I asked you if you wanted to eat while showing you the sign for eat. You grinned at me and signed "eat" right back to me. I whisked you off to your high chair so you could eat. We'll add eat to your list of signs. We're currently working on "up" since it breaks my heart for you to sob at my feet until I figure out you want picked up. I also throw in "please," "sleep," and "kitty" just to mix things up. The fact that you're communicating is very exciting. It's been a year of one sided conversations and now you're letting us know you understand.
| You are enthralled with your birthday balloons. You love to carry them around the living room shaking them back and forth like a punching ball. |
Speaking of letting us know you understand. On a whim while you were playing today, I said "Robbie, can I have a hug?" You dropped your toys, toddled over to me, and threw your arms around me. It was amazing.
Oh, and you love this singing Christmas penguin. I'm currently trying to teach you to sign "more" when you want us to activate him. Right now, you just bring him to us, put him in our lap/drop him on the floor, and screech until we start him. Ohhhh the screeching, Little One.
No comments:
Post a Comment