Monday, January 20, 2014

14 Months

Age:  14 Months


As soon as I took off the chair cover, you were standing there waiting to sit in your chair.
Favorite activity:  Reading!  It makes my teacher-mommy heart swoon to sit and watch you read books.  You carefully turn the pages, examine the pictures, and sometimes you "read" out loud.  Every night when I come home from work, you book basket is empty and your books are sitting out where yo've clearly been reading them.  Once in a great while, we'll catch you trying to nibble on your book but a quick, "No sir!" and you go back to reading.  Except the little Disney chunk books...they must look too much like little sandwiches.  You can't resist chewing on them.




Shhh Mama, I'm reading...
Honorable mentions:  You love your new Kitchen Helper.  You enjoy standing like a big boy at the counter and playing while Mama cooks.  I love having you nearby and I can't wait to have you helping me cook dinner.

"Helping" Mama make muffins

Least favorite activity:  You do not like getting help from Daddy or I.  You are Mr. Independent. The other night at dinner, you didn't want the pieces of hamburger that I had cut for you.  No, you wanted to take your own bites.  When we're out, you rarely get to walk on your own because you absolutely refuse to hold our hands.  Please don't make me put you on a leash, child.

See...you won't hold our hands...
Milestones:  You can feed yourself with a fork/spoon!  Oh sure, you miss 75% of what you attempt to eat, but that 25% that makes it in always makes you so proud.  You try to put your socks and shoes on when we hand them to you while we're changing you.  You can also point to your tummy and your head when we ask you.  If you can flip your bin of blocks over and push it over to the couch, you pull yourself up on the bin and start climbing.  No climbing!  Ack!  Mama's not ready!


Words:  "Bye-bye!"  

Signs:  You've figured out what "more" means and you're using it for things besides just food.  We're still working on "kitty" and "up."  However, you have started climbing up in my lap, pulling the blanket over us, and signing "more."  You mean "more Mickey."  You also start signing "more" as soon the Hot Dog song comes on when we're watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  It's adorable.


Sleep:  One brief dance party after I mistakenly decided to teach you the cup rule after dinner one night, but otherwise you've been sleeping through the night.  That being said, it takes you anywhere from an hour to two hours to wind down at night after we've put you to bed.  On a normal night, we hear the following: fake cries, real cries, screeching, singing, babbling, your favorite tongue waggling noise, whining, your bink hitting the floor, the seahorse hitting the floor multiply times, your glow worm landing in the book basket, and my absolute favorite - big, belly laughs.



Best Moment:  Christmas!  You are one lucky little boy, buddy.  There are so many people who love you.  Gifts aside, there were so many people who loved on you.  We're so thankful to have so many people who love you almost as much as us.  I hope you always know how much you are loved.

When I returned home from my first day back at work, you were so happy to see me!  Daddy said your naps consisted of 5 minutes of silence, 15 minutes of playing/bink banging, and 20 minutes of "Ma ma ma ma ma"s.  Evidently you missed me as much as I missed you!
Wait, wait, wait...these are for me?!
Worst Moment:  Yesterday was not your best day.  You slipped on the hardwood floors and face planted into the air vent grate.  The goose egg popped up on your head almost immediately.  Then, you got frustrated.  Sometimes when you get angry or frustrated you use your head as a weapon.  Man, your noggin is lethal.  You've clocked both Daddy and I accidentally and on purpose over the year.  Yesterday, in your fit of anger, you head butted the coffee table.  Let's hope it's the last time you use your noggin as a weapon. 

Use that noggin for good, not evil!

Eating:  I spent half of the month worrying that you were eating too much and the other half of the month worrying that you weren't eating enough.  Sometimes you eat so much that I swear you have a hollow leg and then you'll eat like a bird.  I'm told this is normal.  You still love vegetables, but you're eating what we eat so you've had adventurous foods this month like lemon garlic chicken, brussels sprouts, pot roast, crosnes, and purple carrots.

Helping Daddy build with your new blocks
Favorite Food:  You cannot get enough vegetables and crackers.  Some nights, that's all you eat.  Other nights, you eat anything and everything we put in front of you.  Your newest favorite is the green smoothie I make for you every once and a while.  Organic whole milk, organic spinach, two strawberries, two chunks of mango, and two chunks of pineapple.  You slurp.  It's adorable.


These are amazing, Mama!
Teeth:  You have one molar now!  Hooray!  The one on the bottom left is in and I think the one on the right is starting to come in.


We love you, buddy.  We're so thankful that we get to be your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment