Dear Wombat,
Today you are 9 days old. I told Daddy last night that I still can't believe you're here, but it seems like you've been here forever. I already can't imagine how we lived without you for so long.
We visited your doctor today and you've only got 2 ounces to gain back to get back to your birth weight. Good job, buddy! All that formula seems to be making a difference. We tried breast feeding, but I just don't think it is going to happen. Mama is working on making her peace with that. It's been a slow road.
You, of course, are perfect. You make Daddy and I laugh every day. We often find ourselves just staring at you and marveling in how wonderful you are. How did
we do
that!? I try to find time every day to tell you just how glad I am to have you and Daddy.
 |
| Oh good grief, not this story again! |
 |
| That's right....this is my monkey swing. |
You already have lots of personality. You don't cry just to cry. If you're crying, something is wrong. We generally go through the normal reasons until we strike gold. Right now, you are sleeping a lot (and Mommy likes that). When you're not sleeping, you're eating. Tomorrow we start tummy time. I can only imagine the crying that will ensue, but it's something that you just have to do. The times you aren't sleeping and eating you are remarkably alert. Your big blue eyes stare at anyone and anything nearby. You love to stare at the light behind Daddy's chair or the monkey mobile hanging above your swing. While we're discussing your personality, can we chat about your obsession with your hands? They've been in your face in
every ultrasound picture and now you're still obsessed with them. I thought we had a few weeks before you discovered your hands! Nope, you knew about them coming out and you still
love them.
You enjoy your cradle that Granddad made for you. You sleep in it every night. The first few nights you were home we didn't think that would ever happen. Daddy put the shirt that I wore to and from the hospital on the mattress and that also helped.
 |
| Swaddled and snoozing in his cradle |
We spent most of your first weekend on the phone with your doctor because you were so gassy, upset, and uh, backed up. Once we switched to formula, those problems disappeared or reduced significantly. Then, I came down with a fever Sunday evening. It broke Monday morning, but I still needed to go to the doctor and make sure everything was ok. I figured I was fine when the fever disappeared. Shows what I know! The doctor sent me right back to the hospital for 48 hours. Not before telling me that you couldn't come though. Oh, the crying that statement unleashed. Daddy dropped me off, called your grandparents (who had just left to go home that morning), and your uncle. Uncle B came to be with me at the hospital and Daddy took you home. I had the best nurse, Little Man. When she noticed me crying, yet again, she said, "You know, he can bring the baby. We'll get him a bassinet and everything. As long as someone is here to watch him, he can stay with you." I immediately called Daddy sobbing, "BRING ME MY BABY!" Luckily, the fever didn't come back and they let me go home the following day (your 1 week "birthday"). Mama will be on her best behavior from here on out. I don't want to go back there especially without you!
Anyway, Little One...we're so glad you're here with us. We can't wait to see what you will learn next.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment