Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Big 0-3

Happy Birthday, Wombat!

Today you are 3! How is that possible!?

You have had an eventful year. It started with a cold, snowy winter. We pretty much stayed inside for January and February. I'm a little nervous about this winter because you're accustomed to going outside several times a day.

In May, you went through a big Cars and Cars 2 obsession. We watched "race car" at least once a day, every day for three months. Three months, child! Luckily, you seemed to get over your obsession around the time we went to the beach. You're back to your first love, Mickey Mouse. When we try to watch something that isn't Mickey, you politely ask "how 'bout Mickey!?" If we don't comply, you turn off the television. You're quite the dictator.

You have made some new friends this year, too. When Grandpa was sick, you stayed with Aunt Christy and Ry. You got very good at handling strong women. Recently, you've befriended another little girl whose mom works with Daddy. At least once a day, you ask me, "how 'bout So-feeee-a?" I think it's safe to say you have a little crush. You're going to be starting preschool soon and we're hoping you'll make even more friends there.

This year, we went to soccer practice to see Daddy more often. You love the big boys. Every time we went, you would take off across the field to see Daddy. Once you've greeted Daddy, you race off to see the big kids. You give out high fives to all the boys and run around like a maniac. When they stretch, you stretch. You want to be right where the boys are. At the end of practice, you are not content to watch the huddle. Oh no, you must be in the middle of the huddle right next to Daddy. 

You have become a puzzle machine. You started out putting together chunky wooden puzzles which you loved. Then, all of a sudden, you started doing jigsaw puzzles. Imagine my surprise the day you put together a 36 piece jigsaw puzzle, by yourself! Frequently, you get up in the morning and put together all your puzzles, and then go about your day. We're on the lookout for more puzzles and definitely more challenging puzzles!

We have also spent a significant amount of time this year getting you speech therapy. We started the process by referring you to Help Me Grow last December. They came out and tested you and they confirmed what I already knew. Your expressive language was delayed. They also said your receptive language was delayed. However, I don't agree with that. You understand what we say to you just fine (sometimes more than just fine).

So in March, Miss Michele started coming to play with you once a week. You loved Miss Michele instantly. Together we worked on getting you to talk more. In May, our insurance wouldn't let us have any more speech therapy so we had to start going through the state to get your speech. We finally got it straightened around and got you off they state approved provider waiting list in September. Miss Renee, your new speech therapist, came once a week until your third birthday. You didn't like Miss Renee as much as Miss Michele but she eventually grew on you. Both therapists were wonderful resources for Mama and their help was invaluable. Your expressive language development since we started speech therapy is nothing short of amazing. I'm sure someday I am going to wish you would stop talking, but right now, I love listening to you. 

Next week, you start preschool. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not heartbroken over the idea of you going to school. I feel like I missed 18 months of your days while I was working and I'm not ready to share you yet. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever be ready to share you though. I just keep reminding myself that preschool is what you need and that is what is most important. Luckily, your school is right across the street so I will be able to walk over to the school to drop you off and pick you up. Daddy will even get to pick you up on Mondays since your school is done during his planning period that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment